full belly - salmon burgers with giardiniera & pickles
These salmon burgers are easy to make and a delicious, healthy, juicy change of pace from hamburgers.
makes 6 burgers
1 1/2 pounds - fresh salmon fillet skin removed then either hand cut to a
small dice, pulsed in a food processor to a small chop or coarsely ground
in a meat grinder (this is what we did)
1/2 - medium red onion small dice
2 - 3 T - full belly mild or hot (oil free) giardiniera - drained and chopped
a little smaller than jar size
2 - 3 T - brine from the giardiniera
1 cup - panko bread crumbs
1 - large egg lightly beaten
1 t - grated lemon zest
1T - chopped parsley
1 t - kosher salt
1 t - fresh cracked pepper
6 - bakery quality
1 - large beefsteak tomato
6 - large, crisp lettuce leaves, rinsed and patted dry
1 - 24oz jar - full belly wavy
cut sandwich dills
1 - jar mayonnaise
1. Place the first 10 ingredients in a large mixing bowl then gently mix until all the
ingredients are well combined.
2. Lightly spray a sheet pan or dinner plate with cooking spray then make 6
equal"size patties from the salmon mix about 3 1/2 inches in diameter and
about 1 inch thick. compress the patties just enough for them to hold together
compressing too tightly will make the burgers tough and dry.
3. When all the burgers are made cover the sheet pan or plate with plastic wrap
or foil and refrigerate at least 2 hours before grilling.
4. Heat a grill to medium (375 degrees) for at least 1/2 hour prior to cooking then
brush with vegetable oil and place the the burgers on the grate using a spatula
and close the lid.
5. After 5 minutes undisturbed turn the burgers over with a spatula and cook an
additional 4 to 5 minutes (lid closed) for medium (juicy) or 6 minutes for more
6. During the last 5 minutes of cooking toast or grill the buns, coat each toasted
bun with mayonnaise add the lettuce, tomato, the salmon burger then top with
lots of full belly wavy cut sandwich dills
serve with plenty of full belly mild or hot giardiniera and sandwich dills... enjoy!